Date: 02 Oct 2020
Send us a snap of your pumpkin for a chance to win one of our goodie bags!
Rather than miss out on seeing all your spooky creations this year, as we will be unable to receive pumpkins from the public to give to our animals, we would like you to send us a snap of your pumpkin for a chance to win one of our goodie bags!
How to Enter
- Firstly, carve your own special pumpkin masterpiece! You can use any design you like and any variety of pumpkin. Try and be unique, fun and clever with your design to make your entry stand out!
- Take care whilst carving your pumpkin! Make sure to do this under the supervision of parent/guardian. Read our top safety tips!
- Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when it comes to your technique, feel free to use paint, pen and anything you think will stand out.
- Once you have completed your pumpkin design, take a pic and submit it into the competition by messaging us on our Facebook by Tuesday 27th October at 5pm.
- Photos will be posted on our Facebook page from Wed 28th – Friday 30th October, and the public can vote for their favourites by "liking" them.
- The winner will be announced at 6pm on Friday 30th October!
- View full terms and conditions
Pumpkin carving safety tips
- Use the Right Tools
Instead of using kitchen knives, try and use the specialty tools found in a pumpkin-carving kit which can be bought online. If you are carving a pumpkin with a young child then the adult shout do the carving and the child can help scoop out the inside and decorate!
- Carve Your Pumpkin With the Top On
By keeping the top on your pumpkin, you won’t be tempted to put your hand inside and cut toward your hand!
- Work in a clean, dry, and well-lit area
Make sure to carve your spooky creation in a clean, dry, and well-lit area, keep your hands and tools clean and dry, and remember to take your time.
- Don’t Let Children Carve
Children shouldn’t carve pumpkins! Instead, you can let them draw the pattern with a marker and clean out the pulp and seeds with their hands or a spoon. Leave the actual carving to an adult!
- Keep your hands and handles dry to avoid slips and stabs.
Frequently, use a towel to dry the cutting surface, knife handles, and your hands.
- Use first-aid if things go wrong
If the knife does slip and you cut yourself, wash the wound with clean, warm water.
Apply pressure to the wound using a clean cloth or paper towel. The bleeding should stop within 15 minutes. If it does not, you should seek medical attention.
Terms and conditions Pumpkin Carving Competition
- The promoter is Belfast City Council of City Hall Belfast BT1 5GS.Entries must be made by private message to Belfast Zoo through our Facebook page.
- The competition will open on Friday 2nd October and submissions will close on Tuesday 27th October at 5pm.
- Entries are to include the photo, the entrant’s name, address, email address.
- Belfast Zoo staff will shortlist entries which will be shared on the zoo’s Facebook page from Wed 28th – Friday 30th October.
- The winner will be notified no later than 6pm on Friday 30th October.
- One prize winner will be selected via Facebook vote (one “like” = one vote)
- The prize cannot be redeemed for any cash alternative.
- You must reside in Northern Ireland or Ireland to enter this competition.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Belfast City Council cannot take responsibility for entries that are lost or delayed.
- Employees of Belfast City Council are not eligible to enter.
- Belfast City Council reserves the right to publicise the competition and the winner.
- The winner of the goodie bag must provide a postal address in order to receive their prize or they can arrange to collect the prize from the zoo.
- Belfast City Council’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, individuals agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- This competition is governed by the law of Northern Ireland.
- Belfast City Council is the Data Controller, under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), for the information you provide.