Date: 05 Oct 2020
Belfast Zoo is on the hunt for the finest, most creative and bug-friendly designs for our first ever Bug Hotel Competition!
The Education Team along with the Gardeners are preparing one of our native species areas for the autumn and winter. We would like some creative input to help us build a new bug hotel. This project could link in with WAU, PDMU or even Eco- Schools.
What is a Bug Hotel?
A bug hotel is a simply a man-made structure created to provide shelter for bugs! They come in a variety of different shapes and sizes and most designs consist of sections made of various materials that are suitable to different types of bugs to nest and seek refuge such as leaves, twigs and bark.
What are we looking for?
The foundation is three wooden pallets stacked on top of each other. After that we are open to suggestions. We want you to think about the different types of invertebrates that live on the Cavehill. Also, don’t forget the native mammals and birds that also frequent our site for example rabbits, hedgehogs, sparrows and robins.
How to enter
The deadline is 4pm on Friday 16 October. You can send us your ideas on Facebook, draw your hotel and post in to the zoo for the attention of the Education Team or take a photo and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your design must be on an A4 piece of paper, named and with clear labels for the materials needed and must incorporate 3 wooden pallets as the base. The winning design will be revealed on Tuesday 20 October. Building will then commence!
Who can enter?
Entries are open to all children up to age of 12.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter is Belfast City Council of City Hall Belfast BT1 5GS.Entries must be made by private message to Belfast Zoo through our Facebook page, or via email to email@example.com or by post to Belfast Zoo, Antrim Road, Belfast, Antrim, BT36 7NP
- The competition will open on Monday 5 October and submissions will close on Friday 16 October at 4pm.
- Entries are to include the design on an A4 page and are to be named with clear labels for the materials to be used.
- Belfast Zoo staff will select the winner.
- The winner will be notified no later than 4pm on Tuesday 20 October.
- You must reside in Northern Ireland or Ireland to enter this competition.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Belfast City Council cannot take responsibility for entries that are lost or delayed.
- Employees of Belfast City Council are not eligible to enter.
- Belfast City Council reserves the right to publicise the competition and the winner.
- Belfast City Council’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, individuals agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- This competition is governed by the law of Northern Ireland.
- Belfast City Council is the Data Controller, under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), for the information you provide.