Updated on Wednesday 8 September 2021
Belfast Zoo is open to the public. For further information please email email@example.com or call the zoo office on 028 9077 6277.
Book tickets online
Our top priority is keeping our staff, our animals and our visitors as safe as possible.
Book your ticket online or by calling us on 028 9077 6277.
The zoo will be closed from Monday 18 to Friday 22 October for resurfacing works. You will be unable to book tickets for this period.
Members do not have to pre-book and can gain admission at the zoo when they arrive. Please remember to bring your membership ID.
Belfast Zoo Outdoor Trek
We hope that our visitors enjoy returning to our beautiful, 55-acre Cave Hill grounds, seeing our resident animals and reconnecting with nature through our “Belfast Zoo Outdoor Trek”.
Our outdoor trek is predominantly outdoors. Social distancing is advised at all times. All visitors must wear a face covering in all indoor areas of the zoo.
With wide walkaways throughout the site and large open areas, we have implemented health and safety precautions so that we can provide a safe and enjoyable visit for everyone.
Some of these precautions include:
- Visitor numbers are limited
- All visitors must book tickets
- Visitors must follow a one-way system which is clearly marked
- Floor markings illustrate two-metre distances to manage queues
- Protective screening is in place at all contact points
- Our indoor animal areas are open except the Rain Forest House
- All visitors must wear a face covering
- Keeper talks and animal feeding times are unavailable
- Treetop Tearoom is open seven days a week for takeaway service only
- The Lion's Den café is open with indoor and outdoor seating available
- Our children's play park is open
- Our gift shop is open, all visitors must wear a face covering in the gift shop
- Seating is available around the perimeter of the one way system, and also at the Treetop Tearoom
- Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the zoo site
For more information and details on our full safety measures, please read our frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is Belfast Zoo open to the public again?
Belfast Zoo is open to all visitors. Tickets to attend must be bought in advance - either online or by telephone. Members are not required to book their tickets before arriving.
2. How do I buy a ticket?
You can buy tickets online or by telephoning the zoo on 028 9077 6277.
3. What happens to my Belfast Zoo membership now that you have been closed?
Your ongoing support as a member is important to us, and we would like to suspend any lost time and add this onto your expiry date now that we have re-opened. If you have a specific question regarding your membership, we would ask that you email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. I bought web tickets, what should I do?
Your web tickets are valid until 31 March 2022.
5. What precautions are Belfast Zoo taking?
The health and safety of our visitors, staff and animals is always our number one priority and we are taking every measure to ensure this. The following precautions are in place.
6. What are the zoo’s opening hours?
Belfast Zoo is open every day from 10am until 6pm. We are operating hourly entry sessions from 10am until 3pm. Last admission is at 4.30pm. Some animals will be brought off show from 3.30pm. Once you enter the zoo, you are free to enjoy your visit until we close at 6pm.
All tickets must be bought in advance. This is to ensure we abide by all COVID-19 regulations..
7. Is there a fast track queue for members?
Members may attend the zoo at any time during opening hours. But we can only offer a fast track queue during peak times. This will be at management's discretion.
8. What areas within Belfast Zoo are closed?
The Rain Forest House is closed but all other animal houses are open. Lion’s Den Restaurant is closed. Treetop Tearoom has a takeaway service with contactless payment only. Some areas of the zoo are closed for your health and safety.
9. Is there any reason why I should not visit the zoo?
Please do not visit the zoo if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. You should follow the official guidance to COVID-19 restrictions.
10. Are the toilet facilities open?
There are toilets at both ends of the zoo that will be open - one near the entrance/exit and the other at the top of the zoo beside the Tree Top Tearoom. These are cleaned regularly throughout the day.
11. Are the cafes open?
Both cafes are open every day. Lion’s Den Restaurant is open for 'sit-in' dining. Treetop Tearoom is open for takeaway service only. These precautions are in place:
- we cannot accept reusable takeaway cups
12. Are the picnic tables available for use?
Some seating will be available around the perimeter of the one way system, and also at the Treetop café.
13. How can I check my membership status or renew my membership?
All membership cards will be checked on arrival at the zoo. If you are unsure of your current membership status or wish to renew, please contact us in advance of your visit by emailing email@example.com or calling 028 9077 6277. We kindly ask that members who wish to renew their membership do this prior to their visit, in order to avoid delays in the queue.
14. Can I visit the zoo if I am not a member?
Yes, the zoo is open to all visitors but if you are not a member you must book tickets. If you would like to sign up for a membership, visit Become a member.
15. Is the zoo’s gift shop open?
Yes, our gift shop is open and has a one-way system in place. We are limiting the number of people who can enter at one time and visitors must wear a face covering. We encourage contactless payments but we can also accept cash.
16. Can I book an animal experience?
All animal experiences at Belfast Zoo are temporarily on hold. If you have any queries, please contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have another question?
Please contact us by email email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns that have not been answered in our FAQs.
Book tickets for yourself, friends or family.
Download our updated map before you arrive.