Updated: Wednesday 25 November 2020
Due to new NI Executive restrictions coming into effect on Friday 27 November, Belfast Zoo will be closed to the public from Friday for two weeks. For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the zoo office on 028 9077 6277.
Book tickets online
We are open to the public under new strict health and safety measures which adhere to current coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines. Our top priority is keeping our staff, our animals and our visitors as safe as possible.
Book your ticket online or by calling us on 028 9077 6277.
Members do not have to pre-book and can gain admission at the zoo when they arrive. Please remember to bring your membership ID.
Belfast Zoo Outdoor Trek
We hope that our visitors enjoy returning to our beautiful, 52-acre Cave Hill grounds, seeing our resident animals and reconnecting with nature through our newly created “Belfast Zoo Outdoor Trek”.
Our outdoor trek is predominantly outdoors, and social distancing is advised at all times. The zoo would strongly recommend visitors bring a face covering and wear during their visit when inside the toilets, and Visitor Centre.
With wide walkaways throughout the site and large open areas, we have implemented health and safety precautions so that we can provide a safe and enjoyable visit for everyone.
Some of these precautions include:
- Visitor numbers are limited
- All visitors must book tickets in advance
- Visitors must follow a one-way system which is clearly marked
- Floor markings illustrate two-metre distances to manage queues
- Protective screening is in place at all contact points
- All indoor animal areas are closed
- Keeper talks and animal feeding times are unavailable
- Treetop Tearoom offers takeaway service only. Please note that the café is currently only open during the weekend
- Our children's play park is open
- Seating will be available around the perimeter of the one way system, and also at the Treetop Tearoom
- Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the zoo site
- Our indoor animal houses are closed
For more information and details on our full safety measures, please read our frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is Belfast Zoo open to the public again?
Belfast Zoo is open to all visitors. Tickets to attend must be bought in advance - either online or by telephone. Members are not required to book their tickets before arriving.
2. How do I buy a ticket?
You can buy tickets online or by telephoning the zoo on 028 9077 6277.
3. What happens to my Belfast Zoo membership now that you have been closed?
Your ongoing support as a member is important to us, and we would like to suspend any lost time and add this onto your expiry date now that we have re-opened. If you have a specific question regarding your membership, we would ask that you email us: email@example.com.
4. I bought web tickets, what should I do?
Your web tickets are valid until 31 March 2021.
5. What precautions are Belfast Zoo taking?
The health and safety of our visitors, staff and animals is always our number one priority and we are taking every measure to ensure this. The following precautions have been put in place.
6. What are the zoo’s opening hours?
We are operating these sessions:
Morning (10am until 2pm) last admission at 11.30am
Afternoon (12 noon until 4pm) last admission at 1.30pm
Some animals will be brought off show from 3.30pm.
All tickets must be bought in advance. This is to ensure we abide by all COVID-19 guidelines.
7. Is there a fast track queue for members?
A fast track queue is available for members during these times:
11.30am – 12 noon
1.30pm – 2.30pm
Members may attend the zoo at any time during our opening hours however we can only offer a fast track queue for members during the above times.
8. What areas within Belfast Zoo are closed?
All indoor animal houses are closed for health and safety reasons. Lion’s Den Restaurant is closed. Treetop Tearoom has a takeaway service with contactless payment only. Some areas of the zoo are closed for your health and safety.
9. Is there any reason why I should not visit the zoo?
Please do not visit the zoo if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. You should follow the official guidance to COVID-19 restrictions.
10. Are the toilet facilities open?
There are toilets at both ends of the zoo that will be open - one near the entrance/exit and the other at the top of the zoo beside the Tree Top Tearoom. These are cleaned regularly throughout the day.
11. Are the cafes open?
Lion’s Den Restaurant is closed. Treetop Tearoom is open for takeaway service only. To maintain physical distancing, the following precautions are in place:
- Please note that the café is currently only open during the weekend
- Reusable takeaway cups cannot be accepted
- Takeaway packaging must be disposed of in the allocated bin stations throughout the zoo (these are marked on the map)
12. Are the picnic tables available for use?
Some seating will be available around the perimeter of the one way system, and also at the Treetop café.
13. How can I check my membership status or renew my membership?
All membership cards will be checked on arrival at the zoo. If you are unsure of your current membership status or wish to renew, please contact us in advance of your visit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 028 9077 6277. We kindly ask that members who wish to renew their membership do this prior to their visit, in order to avoid delays in the queue.
14. Can I visit the zoo if I am not a member?
Yes, the zoo is open to all visitors but if you are not a member you must book tickets in advance. If you would like to sign up for a membership, visit Become a member.
15. Is the zoo’s gift shop open?
Yes, our gift shop is open and has a one-way system in place. We are limiting the number of people who can enter at one time. Please note that contactless payment is required and that no cash will be accepted.
16. Can I book an animal experience?
All animal experiences at Belfast Zoo are temporarily on hold. If you have any queries, please contact the team on email@example.com.
Have another question?
Please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns that have not been answered in our FAQs.
Book tickets for yourself, friends or family.
Download our updated map before you arrive.